My learnings from Cancer
It seems to be all around me. I don't know if it's because I am getting older and more aware, or if it's because there are more cases of it, or that I've just been 'unlucky' to have had more contact with it recently.
My wife had it two years ago and is in remission. My mom just got operated and had it taken out. My friend's mom just passed away because of it. The couple who my kids adopted as their third set of grandparents both got diagnosed with it. A close friend of my father (and the man who married my wife and I) will soon lose his wife to it.
It is an insidously spreading, often-don't know-you-have-it-until-it's-too-late, never-sure-if-it's-gone, playing-the-odds disease.
And the more I ponder on cancer and its treatement, the more I see it as a paradox. Here's how:
- It is the only illness that the treatment (chemo) is actually worse than the disease itself
- It is really just too much of a good thing (cells proliferate too much)
- It is the treatment's goal to kill everything good to make sure it gets all the bad
- Everybody has varying degrees of it
- When one has it, it seems everyone has a thought about what we should do, and most have no idea what they are talking about
- Scanning for it too often may actually provoke it
- Once you're done the treatment, there is a sword of Damocles for years hanging over one's head
- We know next-to-nothing about it. We are still learning, it's not an exact science, and it keeps us humble
There is, however, something beautiful I have discovered when you are a part of those affected by it. When you talk to patients and survivors, to the cancer community, there are no pretentions, no masks, no hypocrisy. What you see truly is what you get. I desperately wish is that we could extend this openness and honesty to everyone without the necessity of going through a horrible cancer.
xkcd brilliantly put his own learnings on cancer in the cartoon below or here.
4/10/2012 06:58:08 am
Nice blog, just wanted to say I found you through Google
14/5/2014 10:40:27 am
Wow. I wasn't planning on reading through your website, but I came across this post and couldn't stop reading. This is the kind of real life experience pastors and seminarians need to read and think through before they attempt to com for the folks around them. Thanks again.
4/7/2014 02:32:51 am
Your blog is extremely interesting and shows you have done
4/7/2014 02:33:40 am
A good blog always comes-up with new and exciting information and while reading I have feel that this blog is really have all those quality that qualify a blog to be a good one.I learn a lot from it. I wanna appreciate you for this great effort.
13/7/2014 10:39:39 pm
17/5/2016 05:07:30 am
Mario games: best Super Mario games and top Super Mario Bros games for you. Go MarioGames.name now
20/9/2016 07:13:42 pm
Authentic Mens & Ladies Rolex Datejust, President Watches for Sale at JavyEstrella.com.
16/11/2016 01:45:48 am
This looks SO good! My mother-in-law makes something that looks/sounds just like this, and it is my favorite dessert she makes.
Leave a Reply.
Everything you never wanted to know about the author is on this web site : www.jeanfahmy.com